Many of you know my story– I worked a crazy, toxic corporate job for 3.5 years. At the end of my time there, I’d end up in the bathroom drive heaving. I’d spend my Sundays crying. I didn’t know who I was. I let the stress and anxiety get to me and it truly changed who I was.
That’s when I decided to become a health coach.
Flash forward a few years and I’ve run a successful business coaching health coaches and learned about all of the woo woo magic that’s out there. I now work for a local grocery market and charity music festival as their Communications Manager.
I fell into the job, really. And I fell in love with it, quickly going from being a part time employee to full time because I couldn’t get away. The stress felt different and all of my anxiety about “working for the man” disappeared.
But I soon realized that I was no longer listening to my intuition or the Universe because I had too much noise in my life.
This winter the stress started to get to me. Deadlines piled up. I was falling behind in my work because others weren’t pulling their weight– and I was terrified of being negatively judged for it. Adult beverages piled up around me in the evenings. I walked to my car crying one night. I considered meditating, ya know, to calm my mind… but felt like I simply couldn’t make the time.
The Universe intervened.
I had been doing a LOT of driving and suddenly my radio completely stopped working. Actually, the entire console of my new-to-me car died, even the phone charging ports.
If I wasn’t going to allow a little silence into my life, the Universe sure as hell was going to make sure it happened for me.
And I sat with it. I allowed the silence in. And as I began to feel more sane and stopped letting the stress go from a productive encourager to debilitating anxiety, my radio suddenly started working (of course it was the day before I was taking time off of work to get it fixed…).
When things get crazy, know what works for you. What will help keep your sanity. And use it.
Me? I take time to breathe in the morning. I brought selenite to my desk. I recall my mantra and wear my mala as a reminder. I started doing yoga (pro tip: if you’re having a hard time budgeting for or justifying classes, check Groupon! I found deals to two studios I’ve fallen in love with).
Oh life. It’s full of ups and downs and ups and downs. And some of those ups are super high and feel amazing. And some of those downs are low, low, low and feel like there will be no end. It’s the same whether you’re building a business or not.
The key is to not give up because 90% of the time, when things get tough it’s because things are about to get really, really good.
Mindset plays a huge part in whether or not you’ll make it to the good. See, people so often give up on whatever it is they’re pursuing when things get tough and they never make it to the awesome. They change paths before they can get there.
The next time you feel like shit about… anything, repeat these mantras to yourself.
- What I focus on multiplies. I choose happiness, not worry.
- This too shall pass.
- I hand this over to the Universe and I trust that she will take care of it for me.
- Inhale. Pause. Exhale.
- I choose to face my fear and kick its ass.
- Any progress is a step forward.
- I am strong. I am beautiful. I am enough.
- I choose to see the light.
- Actions speak louder than words.
- I allow and trust.
- Commit. Succeed.
- Spread happiness like wildfire.
- Raise someone else up and you will raise yourself up.
- It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets)
Owning your own business is hard. There are so many ups and downs. And it’s easy for the negative times to overshadow the positive. They’re easier to dwell on, making you forget about everything you’re excelling at in your business.
But the truth is that you can’t give up. Because when you do, you’re probably selling yourself short.
Every person that I know who “failed” at business did so either because they weren’t serious about actually making it happen OR because they quit before they were ever able to be successful.
Building a business that works and is profitable takes time (and anyone who tells you they have an overnight success story is either lying or just got really f-ing lucky).
So how do you know if you’re making it happen but haven’t made it quite there yet? Here are some signs to watch for…
- You take one step forward in your business every day. Even if you also take five steps backward you’re completing at least one (even baby-sized) task that will help move you forward.
- You have a story to tell and a why behind telling it that lights you up.
- You’ve heard from someone at some point telling you that you’ve influenced their life in some way. It could be as simple as “thank you for posting this, it’s just what I needed” or as complex as a testimonial video explaining every tiny thing they learned from you.
- You’re visible. You show up online and tell your story. You’re not hiding out, no matter how hard it might feel today.
- You’re acting from a place of service. You help people online without expectation of anything in return (even if you’re secretly hoping they’ll someday buy from you). You’re building relationships from giving from your heart.
- You’ve earned a penny from someone for something you’ve done in your business. It doesn’t matter if that penny immediately went to pay a bill or not. Bringing in any cash flow is a sign that you’re doing something right.
- You’re learning and experimenting and growing. You’re finding what works for you. You’re learning what your people want to know from you. You’re testing the waters of how you work best and how you want to be seen online.
- You’ve had a hater. Seriously. You’ve made it when you’ve had the first person try to screw you out of money or question your authority and knowledge.
Do any of these resonate with you? Great. Stop and celebrate your success because, lady, this is a journey and you’ll never make it through without celebrating every tiny step!
Tell me about it: what are YOU celebrating today?
Make your 2017 goals easier to achieve– join Health Coach Social Lab today! By spending less time on the little things in your business, you’ll be able to spend MORE time on the things that really matter. And isn’t that what your business is all about???
We’re in the final stretch of the year – how are your goals shaping up?
Maybe you’ve been dream boarding like crazy, writing down your goals in your journal every day, saying affirmations every day.
The procrastination sets in. The resistance screws up your plans. You get a speeding ticket in the post unexpectedly. Your website craps itself right in the middle of a launch. Your partner starts acting weird.
Maybe it’s not just the right time? Maybe the Universe is conspiring against you?
Ugh. We’ve all been there.
Nope. It’s not that you suck at manifesting. You’re probably missing pieces of the formula.
I want to share a new FREE resource with you from my friend and mentor, Denise Duffield-Thomas. It’s her very easy and practical Manifesting Formula.
Sign up here: https://yu103.isrefer.
Y’all know that I am a total Lucky Bitch devotee– I send her book, Get Rich, Lucky Bitch, to pretty much everyone I know and I linked to it in like every third blog post. But it really did change my life.
Denise is an incredible money mindset mentor, AKA “The Lucky Bitch” whose best-selling books and courses have helped thousands of entrepreneurs, including myself, step-up to create success and abundance.
Denise will share her process that will take you from “personal development junkie” into a manifesting MACHINE and money magnet.
She makes it easy, fun and totally chilled. There’s a free cheat sheet so you can play along.
Just sign up here (did I mention it’s free?!):
You don’t need to be perfect, meditate five hours a day or chant naked under a full moon to manifest your ideal life!
But you DO need to CLEAR your mind of any blocks, get CRYSTAL clear on your goals, infuse every part of your day with positivity, take inspired ACTION and learn to RECEIVE (yes, it’s a learned process – women really struggle with that part).
Play along here: https://yu103.isrefer.
P.S I’m a proud affiliate of Denise’s work. If you purchase something from her in the future, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Participating in the Living Abundantly challenge may have had you searching high and low for cash you didn’t know existed. But did you realize that money is everywhere?
And when you’re open to it and ask the Universe for help, there are a ton of ways it can appear. You might not see the signs if you’re not paying attention, but they’re there.
How can money appear to you? Check out these 11 ways to find money everywhere…
- See a penny, pick it up! Watch for money on the ground everywhere you go and don’t be afraid to snatch it up.
- Loose change you’ve lost— check the couch cushions, the bottom of your purse, under your car floor mats, etc. The place I find it the most? In the cupholders in my car.
- Clothes you haven’t worn in months or purses you haven’t used in years. You know the feeling of joy you have when you put on a jacket at the start of winter to find a $20 bill.
- The check is in the mail. You’d be surprised at how many people receive random refund checks in the mail that they’d forgotten about.
- Use a gift card you forgot about. If you’re anything like me you receive a gift card and feel like you need to save it for the “right” moment. Stop holding onto them for a rainy day and use them up!
- Coupons and other freebies— see above. Right now I have a free drink at Starbucks loaded and ready to use. I’ve been to Starbucks three times since earning it. Twice I consciously chose to not use it and once the lady forgot to load it for me. Hello signs from the Universe.
- Earn from the kindness of others. You never know when someone before you is going to buy your coffee. Recently I went to buy a new dress. The first one was on sale so I added a second but it wasn’t as far on sale as the other. The store manager voluntarily gave me the discount on the second one because he could tell how much I wanted it.
- Sell your unwanted stuff. I love being on Poshmark. I spend very little time managing it (unlike some power users). But every once in awhile the stuff that I would otherwise throw away earns me some money. You do need to be strategic with this, and put limits on how long you’ll leave it up, but money is money!
- Offer a something special in your business. Maybe for a weekend you offer a one-time coaching session that you don’t normally sell. Or a no-branier info product to bring in some cash. Both are legitimate ways to bring in some more money in a pinch.
- Have old electronics sitting around? Cash them in! There are plenty of electronic recycling programs that will give you money in exchange for them.
- Check your credit card reward programs. Have enough points to cash them in? Go for it! #treatyoself
No matter how you find the money, be sure to thank the Universe for it and track it.
Why track it?
The things you focus your energy on multiply. So if you focus on your debt or lack of money, you’re just going to keep heading further and further down that path. Focus on the positive– the incoming– and you’ll keep seeing more of it.
Check out the Lucky Bitch app (only available for iOS, sorry). It’s a great way to track every day on your phone and includes a fun celebration when you reach your goals. Plus it allows you to track not just cash but VALUE coming in, which is just as important. Or you can create a simple spreadsheet and access it via Google Sheets on your phone.
Where will you look for more incoming money and value in your life?